It was gathered that Presidency took the decision to adopt this option of photographing them in order to avoid the chaotic experience that followed the release of 21 of the school girls in October last year where several parents claimed individual girls as their own because of
similarity in their names.
The Tribune Online learnt that photographers were brought into where the girls were being quartered to have their pictures taken which are now being distributed to Chibok community leaders who have started coming to see them in Abuja from Sunday. The community leaders have been instructed to take the pictures back to Chibok and environs where they girls come from to enable their families and communities to identify them before coming to Abuja to claim them.
Senior Special Assistant to the president on media and publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed this to the Tribune Online in Abuja on Monday, noting that most of the girls are not from Chibok town itself, but villages scattered around the area. He said the government is doing its best for the girls who he noted would be identified by their parents as they come to Abuja.
On the condition of the girls who were abducted from their school dormitory in April 2014, the presidential spokesman observed that they were brought in great shape with no visible sign of their abuse by the insurgents. He said their case is unlike the 21 Chibok girls freed last October who came in poor shape.
Garba said: “To be honest, without appearing to speak for Boko Haram, from the outlook of these girls, they appear better in terms of their physical outlook than the 21 we received before.