Saturday, 23 July 2016
Some Missing Officers, Soldiers Ambushed By Boko Haram Found, 3 Officers, 16 Soldiers Still Missing.” – Army
The Nigerian Army has announced that it has found some of its troops that went missing after an ambush by Boko Haram at Guro Gongon on 20th July 2016.
Army spokesman, Col Sani Usman, in a statement on Saturday, said concerted efforts were initiated to search for and rescue the soldiers.
“The measures include the use of air assets, Special Forces and patrols,” he said.
“We wish to inform you that the search party has this morning found 5 more officers and soldiers that were declared missing in action, including the unit’s Commanding Officer.
“Although they are in a stable condition, have been moved to our Medical facilities for medical care”, he added.
Major General Lucky Irabor, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, had earlier explained how the incident occurred.
Briefing newsmen in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, yesterday, the senior officer said: “On July 20, our troops with some Civilian JTF conducted clearing operation to Gongon village in Alagarno general area.
“Own troops destroyed Boko Haram camps and captured a gun truck mounted with an Anti-Aircraft gun, an RPG tube, a Light Machine Gun, three AK-47 rifles and other logistic items of the terrorists.
“However, when own troops were returning to their defensive location, they ran into an ambush by the terrorists who came to reinforce their fleeing comrades.
“’The troops fought back gallantly killing many of them; sadly, 16 soldiers and three Civilian JTF were wounded in action; some others, including the Commanding Officer, are missing in action.
“A search party has been dispatched; so far, six soldiers and four Civilian JTF have rejoined unit, the wounded are stable and responding to treatment.
“Currently, there are three officers and 16 soldiers still missing.”